Mobile Website Development
As you probably know, Web site design and development standards used for computer browsers are not generally compatible with mobile phone browsers. Websites designed to work well on a mobile handset must follow the Mobile Website Design Guidelines set by the W3C.
In mobile phones, a technology called WAP is used for browsing. Given limitations with WAP browsers (screen size and download capabilities), creating a mobile solution generally comes down to a blend of stripping down current designs and adding new development & design elements.
Principles we adhere to for our Mobile Website Designs:
- No use of tables for the main layout as will not display correctly on mobile phones
- Our Mobile Websites use CSS for the layout to ensure maximum compatibility
- We consider the wide variety of mobile phone screen sizes so our Mobile Web sites maintain the highest levels of compatibility
- Many mobile phones are not equipped with back buttons, so we try to provide them whenever it makes sense
- It is difficult to enter text in mobile Web sites, so radio buttons and lists are used whenever possible
- Our Mobile website designs are developed to be convenient for users since it can be time consuming to browse through a mobile website
- Maximum page size for a mobile Web page is only 20 kilobytes, so all elements used fit into that number
- We use jpeg or gif images in our mobile Website designs for maximum efficiency